On July 24, 2020, Microsoft showed a brief Fable 4 trailer showing Albion’s unique and mesmerizing world. The classic gaming franchise returns by announcing a new Fable game coming to the XBOX Series X.
After a decade-long hiatus, Microsoft Gaming revealed that Playground Games has been developing the next Fable game since 2020. Here’s what we know about Fable 4, including its release date, leaks, and every information available.
Fable 4: Release Date
As of now, Microsoft hasn’t announced a Fable 4 release date. All we know is that the game has been in development for two years, and keep this article in mind as we will update this once we have a definite release date for Fable 4.
With no apparent appearance in sight, even in the last XBOX showcase, we can at least assume that an early 2023 release is not possible. Although a late 2023 or early 2024 release might be more probable. We are considering a three to five-year development cycle as the usual timeframe for recent games.
Microsoft assured us that we would be able to play Fable 4 before Elder Scrolls 6. This news is according to IGN’s interview with the head of XBOX, Phil Spencer. He describes Elder Scrolls 6’s release date as “further out” compared to Fable 4’s release date.
You can watch the interview here:
Fable 4’s Engine
Of course, with the game having nearly a decade-long hiatus, it’s no surprise that Fable’s next installment will use a new and modern game engine. According to a Microsoft job posting in early 2021, they are looking for a software engineer at Turn10 Studios who will primarily work on the ForzaTech Engine.
The job posting also described the addition of new features to ForzaTech, such as raytracing for the next generation of consoles and expanding the engine’s toolset to support open-world action games such as Fable. This description confirms that Fable 4 will use ForzaTech with new technological advancements such as ray tracing. Now, that’s some very exciting news for Fable fans!
Fable 4: Platforms
Will we ever see Fable 4 on Playstation consoles? Unfortunately, that would be a big no. Similar to how Nintendo keeps their exclusives, well, exclusive for Nintendo consoles. Microsoft owns the Fable series and intends to keep it exclusive to its platforms.
We will surely see Fable 4 on the XBOX Series X or S and possibly the PC in the coming months/years after its initial release.
Let’s consider that Microsoft released Fable 3 on PC almost six months after its initial release on the XBOX 360. We should also expect this timeframe between the releases for XBOX Series X/S and the PC. However, Microsoft may release the game on either platform on the same date, similar to what they did with Forza Horizon 5.
Fable 4: Trailer
The trailer starts with narration and a shot of a pixie-like character looking at the sword. Alongside the sword is the skull of who seems to be the owner. The pixie continues to fly throughout the landscape. While admiring a blooming flower, a frog snatches the pixie as its snack in a seemingly comedic fashion.
The camera then pans up to a kingdom in the distance, and the title card “Fable” appears on the screen.
There’s not much to decipher in the trailer, as the narration only gave us a vague insight into a “story that has yet to be written.” There’s also nothing we can say about the in-game graphics, as the trailer is entirely CGI. In hindsight, the graphics we see in the trailer may be far from what the actual game looks like.
Fable 4: Leaks
Now, I get that many of you are vying for more information about this new Fable game. Please note that these leaks may or may not be accurate, so take all of them with a grain of salt. Here’s every leak that we can scour throughout the internet:
- According to @CronoTK on Twitter, Fable 4 will be an MMO.
- CronoTk further added that this information comes from reliable sources.
- This might be why the title card at the end of the trailer only says Fable.
- Also, let’s not forget about the narrator in the trailer. He specifically says that “your story has yet to be written.” This statement means that you may be able to craft your story based on your decisions, which is typical for any Fable game. However, it could also mean that it could depend on the character you create, the factions you will engage with, etc. This possibility leans to the rumors that Fable 4 is an MMORPG game.
- Fable consists of multiple well-known developers.
- The game’s narrative director is the lead scriptwriter for Batman: Arkham Knight.
- Environment artists from The Division 2.
- A level designer from Grand Theft Auto V.
- The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 developer is part of Fable’s Combat Design team.
- GeForce Now leak suggests Fable will be available on October 12, 2023.
That’s everything we know about the latest Fa le game. Are you excited about its release date? Did you miss the franchise? Let us know in the comments!