Have you always wanted to donate to your favorite streamer but don’t know how to? Well, here’s a complete Twitch donation guide to help you out.
Donations are one of the main ways that streamers make money. It was first introduced as a feature to help streamers with their goals like upgrading their setup, improving their stream, or simply just helping them make a living.
Streamers entertain their viewers through various means, whether it be playing games at a high level, providing funny content, or simply just chatting. The viewers, in return, can support the streamers by donating their own money and helping them continue what they are doing. Think of street performers. They provide people entertainment by singing, dancing, among others, and people donate money to them.
We’re here today to help you find out how to donate on Twitch. Continue reading to figure out how to support your favorite streamer.
How to Donate on Twitch
There are numerous ways to support your favorite Twitch content creator. They usually set up diverse income sources like having Patreon pages, selling merch, and finding sponsors, among many others. However, donations are by far the most popular and easiest way to support streamers and content creators.
There are also different ways to donate to streamers via Twitch. We’ll talk about each one and help you figure out how to use them.
Using the Twitch Donation Button
Most streamers set up their own customized donation buttons that will take you to a link where you can donate to them. These sites are managed by different third-party software like Twitch bots or other services that automatically sends the donations to the stream.
Follow these steps to donate directly to your favorite streamers and have your donation show up on stream.
- The first thing you have to do is to open up your preferred browser and head over to the lucky streamer’s channel.
- Head on over to their live stream and scroll down until you see a “donation” button.
- Clicking on the button should open up a new tab and redirect you to their donation website.
- Sometimes other donation websites require you to log in to your Twitch account or input your Twitch username to connect your donation. Make sure to do this if you want your donation to appear on stream or if you want your donations to stack in the long run.
- From there, all you have to do is fill up some additional information like amount, message, and effects (if any) to complete the donation.
- Finally, choose your preferred payment method to pay for the donation. Usually, people use PayPal since it’s widely supported across various donation websites. However, you can also use things like credit cards or other payment services supported by the site.
That’s basically it. All you have to do now is wait for your donation to appear on stream.
Remember to read their donation rules first. Some streamers require a minimum amount for your donations to appear on stream. Others also have a minimum amount to enable text to speech. Usually, the amounts range anywhere from $5 to $10, so don’t worry about having to spend too much. Just make sure to double-check the rules, especially if you want your donation to appear on stream.
Donating on Twitch by using Bits
The other way you can donate to your favorite Twitch streamer is by using Bits to cheer. Bits are basically Twitch’s own currency that you can use to show your appreciation for a streamer. It’s simply just tipping, but everything is done directly on Twitch instead of using a third-party donation website.
You can buy Bits in exchange for real money. Each Bit roughly costs $1c, but you can buy in bulk for bigger discounts. Bits can be purchased using Amazon, PayPal, or credit card payments as of the moment. Twitch then takes a 25-30% cut from the donation before adding them to the streamer’s account.
Here are the steps to cheer your favorite streamer using Bits:
- Open up a browser and log into your Twitch account.
- Click on the “Get Bits” button right next to your profile photo.
- A new tab will appear and show the number of Bits you currently have and the price you have to pay in order to obtain a specific amount of Bits.
- Select the number of Bits you want to buy and click on the button.
- Choose your preferred payment method and fill in the necessary payment information to purchase your Bits. Click on the “Review Purchase” button and proceed.
- Once you already have the Bits, just click on the Bits icon next to the emoji icon in Twitch chat.
- Select the number of bits you want to cheer with, select an emoji or add a message and send.
There you go. Wait for your Bits to appear on stream and continue to cheer your favorite streamer.
Reminder: Check if the streamer has any rules regarding cheers showing up on stream. Others require a minimum Bits donation for your cheer to appear on stream. Just make sure to check so that you won’t end up having to cheer all over again.
Subscribing to your Favorite Content Creator
The final way to donate to your favorite streamer on Twitch is by subscribing to their channel. Although, this isn’t actually donating directly to the streamer since you do gain some extra perks on the channel in exchange. However, you’re still supporting and giving money to your favorite streamer, so I’ll count it as a donation.
Subscriptions are monthly payments or donations that you make to streamers to show your support and love for them and their content. In return, streamers give you extra privileges that you can use on Twitch.
Follow these steps to subscribe to your favorite streamer:
- Go to Twitch and log into your account.
- Navigate to your selected streamer’s channel and scroll down to their “About” page.
- Find the “Subscribe” button and click on it.
- This should take you to a new tab where you can see all the benefits of subscribing and the amount that you have to pay monthly for the subscription.
- Select the plan that you want and click on the “Subscribe” button at the end of the page.
- Choose your preferred payment method and fill in the necessary payment information requested by Twitch.
Voila! You are now subscribed to that streamer and will be charged the subscription amount on a regular basis.
Subscriber-Only Perks and Benefits
By subscribing, you’re essentially supporting the streamer on a regular basis. Here are some of the benefits that you can get by subscribing to streamers on Twitch.
- Access to custom channel emotes
- Sub Badges that appear on chat
- Earn extra channel points
- Ad-Free stream viewing
- Access to subscriber-only chat
- Access to subscriber-only streams
You can save more money by subscribing to longer durations and paying the sums in bulk. So, if you’re planning to support your favorite streamer long-term, it’s definitely best to do it in durations of 3 or 6 months.
You can also gift subs to other people within the community or to your friends if you want to share the love.
You can donate through a variety of ways to help support your favorite streamers. However, make sure that you only donate what you can afford. Streamers will always be grateful no matter how much you donate. Most streamers are already happy with the time that you give them.
Donations aren’t required. You can still support them without donating by sharing their stream, following them on their different social media accounts, and watching their videos, among many others.