Overwatch was Blizzard Entertainment’s take on a multiplayer first-person shooter game. The game launched back in 2016 with great reviews from both the critics and the players. While the game to this date is great, it is going to be replaced by the upcoming Overwatch 2.
Overwatch 2 launches on October 4, 2022, and unlike its predecessor, it will be free to play. The game was initially announced in 2019 and it got a reveal trailer in June this year. Overwatch 2 is set to completely replace the original so it won’t be playable anymore.
Overwatch 2 New Character Revealed
Today at the Tokyo Game Show, we got some new information about the game along with a new character reveal. Kiriko is the newest addition to our heroes. She is much like Genji (her brother) from the original Overwatch but instead of blades, she used Kunai. She is more of a supporting hero than a damage dealer. Her main focus is being highly mobile and precise.
We also have a list of all the abilities Kiriko will possess:
- Healing of uda: This is her primary fire. She throws up to 10 slowly moving paper slips that target friends and gradually heal them.
- Kunai Swift: This is her secondary fire. These projectiles fire quickly and cause little damage, but if a critical hit occurs, additional damage is dealt, in addition to the usual 2x modifier.
- Swift Step: This is Kiriko’s teleport ability. It has a “reasonable” distance and operates through walls. It can get her to allies rapidly.
- Wall Climb: Just like her brothers she can climb walls
- Protection Suzu: This shoots out a bell that, for a brief time, envelops Kiriko and surrounding allies in a barrier that prevents damage and removes effects.
- Kitsune Rush: This is her ultimate ability. She sets up torii gates along her path. It increases the speed of Kiriko’s mobility, attacks, and reloads. It also slows down the cooling time. When trying to seize a location, the Ult may be very useful.
Kiriko will join Overwatch 2 on October 4 when it releases. However, she will be a part of the new Battle Pass integrated into the game and will be locked behind tier 55. So, you’ll have to pay for the battle pass to play as the new character. If you owned the original Overwatch you’ll get the battle pass free.
New Season 1 Trailer
Overwatch 2’s Season 1 trailer has also been revealed along with the new character. It includes 6 new maps and a new game mode. You can see the trailer here:
The new game mode will be called ‘Push’. It will be set on a new map called Esperança, Portugal. The new location features a very bright design. Teams can wing and surprise attack each other as the push robot moves through the map.
In a more controversial move, loot boxes have been removed from the game. Yes, it is now free but there is a Battle Pass now only through which you can unlock all the heroes. Battle Pass has two tiers; Battle Pass and Battle Pass Premium. The premium will unlock tons of skins when bought, while in the normal one you’ll have to grind the game to get them.
What are your thoughts on Overwatch 2’s Battle Pass? Do you think it’s the right move? Let us know what you think in the comments down below.