Meaning to play the old PS3 classic games on your PS5? Well, we’ve got both good and bad news for you. Let’s discuss the possibilities in this quick technical guide.
Yes, you can play a select library of PS3 games on the PS5 that are available through the PS Plus Premium’s Classics Catalogue. You can also stream PS1, PS2, and PSP games using the same Cloud streaming service. All you need is a decent internet connection, and you are good to go!
Keep on reading and learn the dos/don’ts and WhatiF’s of streaming PS3 games on your PS5.
Stream PS3 Games Using PS Plus Premium
PlayStation Plus Premium, formerly PS Now, is the only way to stream PS3 games on your PS5. The PS5 does not support the physical or digital copies because of architectural differences between the games and how they were made.
There are three tiers available in the PS Plus —the Essential, Extra, and Premium. You get access to PS2/3 classics with the PS Plus Premium subscription (18$/month). Not only do you get all of the features that come with the Essential and Extra tiers, but you also get time-limited game trials of the latest games to test them out before making a purchase.
You can check out this detailed article on the PS Plus subscriptions, price brackets, and feature breakdown. Once you have bought the subscription, follow these steps to successfully play old games on your PS5.
- Go to the PS Plus menu from your Dashboard.
- If you’ve bought the Premium tier, you’ll see the PS Classics Catalogue.
- The catalog has been further divided into PS One, PS2, PSP & PS3 games.
- Select the PS3 library and then choose whichever game you want to play from the library.
- Once you open the game’s page, select the Stream option.
- You cannot download these games on your PS5. You’ll have to play via the Cloud.
More than 380 PS3 games are available for streaming through the PS Plus Premium subscription. Here’s a list of games we’d recommend that you try out based on their popularity and scores:
- Batman Arkham Origins – Action / Adventure
- Castlevania Games – Gothic Horror / Action / Metroidvania / Role Playing
- Devil May Cry 4 – Hack and Slash
- Enemy Front – First Person Shooter
- Fallout 3 – RPG
- Fallout: New Vegas – RPG
- God of War HD collection – Action / Hack & Slash
- inFAMOUS games – Adventure / Platform
- LEGO Games – Platform / Puzzle / Adventure
- Ninja Gaiden Games – Action / Hack & Slash
- Ratchet & Clank Games – Adventure / Puzzle / Third-Person Shooter
- Red Dead Redemption – Third Person / Open World / Adventure
- Resident Evil Code: Veronica X – Horror / Survival
- Resident Evil Revelations – Horror / Survival / Third-Person Shooter
- Sniper Elite V2 – Third-Person Shooter / Stealth / Action
- Tekken 6 – Arcade Fighting
- Yakuza 5 – Fighting / Adventure
- XCOM: Enemy Within – RPG / Turn-Based
We’ve only listed a few games here to give you an idea of the selection you are looking at. You can check the entire PS Classics Catalogue by following this link. But you’ll need a very decent internet connection to properly stream the games without any noticeable input lag and stuttering.
And that’s how you can play PS3 games on your PS5 and enjoy a lot of really good games on the latest generation of PlayStation. If you found this guide to be useful, then check out our other PlayStation coverage as well as the dozens of tech/gameplay/ and informative articles we publish every day.