Did your PS5 get stolen? Or are you clumsy enough to somehow forget where you put it and can’t find it anymore? Whatever the case was, the idea to track your PS5 might have popped up in your mind. Let’s discuss that possibility and find out what our options are.
You cannot track your PS5 because it has no GPS chip inside. You can, however, ask Sony to help you if you have its serial number. The only other option is to talk to the authorities and report it stolen.
Understanding PS5 Features Relevant to Tracking
Here’s the important stuff that you need to understand: The PS5 does not have a GPS or any other type of smart tracking chip inside it that can be used to pinpoint its location in the event of it being stolen.
So, you are only left with roundabout ways of tracking your PS5. Let’s discuss them below and give you an idea of how likely you are to find a stolen console.
Using the Serial Number
Your PS5 has a unique serial number on the bottom. (It’s the one that looks like a QR code on the right side). You should note this serial number as soon as you unbox a new console and keep it safe for later.
If your console gets stolen, you can try to contact Sony, and they can potentially help you by tracking it or bricking it the next time someone connects that console to the internet.
Another way you can ask authorities or Sony to track your console is by using its MAC addresses. You can find your console’s MAC addresses by following these steps:
- Open Settings
- Go to Network Settings.
- Select the View Connection Status option.
- There, you will see a complete breakdown of all your connection-related settings.
- Note down both MAC addresses for later.
There’s pretty much no other way of tracking your console. Just keep it safe and pray that your PS5 doesn’t get stolen.
Security Measures You Can Take
Here are a few security measures you can take to keep your PS5 secure:
- Login Passcode: You can set your PS5’s security in a way that it will ask for a password every time you try to log into a profile. This setting is under the Settings < Users & Accounts < Login Settings.
- Use Airtags: If you are a messy or forgetful person, you can also rely on tech like the Apple Airtags to mark your console and then track it with your phone.
That’s all you need to know about tracking your PS5. If you found this guide to be useful, check out our other PS5 coverage, where we discuss everything from HDMI cables to Fan Noise Levels and much more!