A lot of people still prefer the PS4 controller over the new one. If you’ve got the old Dualshock 4 PS4 controller still lying around and are wondering whether it can be used with the PS5, then this quick little guide will be perfect for you.
Yes, you can use the PS4’s Dualshock 4 with the PS5 by connecting it as a Bluetooth device. Hold the PS+Share button to do so. But you can only play PS4 games on it. You’ll need the DualSense controller to play any PS5 game.
I will tell you how to use the Dualshock 4 with the PS5 and discuss all the restrictions you’ll face while using the old controller.
How to Connect the PS4 Controller with the PS5
Using the PS4 controller with the PS5 is fairly simple. I will explain the steps to connect the DualShock 4 with the PS5 below for your convenience.
- Boot up your PS5 and head into the Settings.
- Navigate to the Bluetooth Accessories tab (Found in the General Settings).
- Now, put your Dualshock 4 into pairing mode by pressing & holding the PS & Share buttons until the lights on the controller start flashing.
- Your PS5 should detect the PS4 DualShock controller as a connectable Bluetooth device.
- Select it when the option appears.
- Thats it. Your Dualshock 4 should now be successfully paired with the PlayStation 5.
Note: The PS4 DualShock 4 controller can only be used to play the PS4 titles on the new console. You’ll still need the DualSense to play any new PS5 titles since they utilize the newer Haptic motors for a lot of things.
I hope you found this guide to be useful and were able to quickly connect your PS4 controller with the PS5. You can reset your PS5 controller if it is acting up for some reason and pair it up with the console again.