Dune: Spice Wars is a 4X RTS title from Shiro Games and FUNCOM. Spice Wars is based on the phenomenal science fiction novel by Frank Herbert, and there has been a severe lack of Dune games for quite some time now. So far, the reception has been very positive for the game, and while there are some technical issues, it’s to be expected in the early access state. If you are running into the Dune Spice Wars Black Screen Issue, here are a few things you can try to fix it.
Players that can’t even run the game, and are running into crashes at launch can refer to the following guide as well.
Fixing the Dune Spice Wars Black Screen Issue
The game came out yesterday, and a few users reported a black screen shows up as soon as they launch the title. This is usually due to something wrong with Redistributables, but the developers have provided some additional recommendations as well.
Launch with DirectX instead of OpenGL, or vice versa
Instead of running the game using the shortcut icon, open Steam and navigate to your library.
- Here, click on the Play button when you open Dune: Spice War’s tab.
- Now, you will be prompted with two options. These are DirectX and OpenGL
- Try both of these, and see if switching to a different API fixes the black screen
Edit the Options file
If the suggestion above didn’t work, try the following.
- Open Steam and then your library
- Right-click on Dune: Spice Wars in your library and click Properties
- Click Manage
- Then select Browse local files
- Here, open the Options.ini file using a text editor like Notepad
- Set the value of IntroVideo to false
- Save the file (Ctrl+S), and exit out
Launch the game again, and see if that made a difference. This will essentially skip the intro video, and that might solve the problem on your end.
Update DirectX and Visual C++ Redistributables
Ensure that both DirectX and Visual C++ Redistributables are on the latest version.
Remove and Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributables
If simply reinstalling Visual C++ Redistributables didn’t help, it’s a good idea to uninstall those and reinstall using the link provided above.
Add an exception to your anti-virus
Your anti-virus software might be interfering with the game, and flagging it as a threat. To ensure
We have listed some popular ones and their respective FAQ pages.
- Windows Defender
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Avast Antivirus
- AVG Antivirus
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus
- Webroot SecureAnywhere
- McAfee Antivirus (Steam Support guide)
All these suggestions have been provided by the developers on Steam forums, and your game should be fixed after following these.
We hope this guide helped fix the Dune Spice Wars Black Screen issue. Let us know if you have any questions in the comments below.