Saints Row is finally out on PC and is a reboot of the open-world action franchise from Volition and Deep Silver. You can check out our thoughts here, and we had a fun time through the title. The PC version runs well enough for the most part after some adjustments, but there are some technical setbacks. If you’re running into the Saints Row crash at launch issue, we recommend a few things.
Fixing the Saints Row crash at launch issue
The title is out now on PC and consoles, and as expected some users are running into crashing issues. As is the case with most PC launches, a lot of crashing problems are because PC users don’t have the required redistributable, something isn’t updated, or the game files are corrupt. Follow these methods to launch the title.
Verify Game Files
The first thing we always recommend is to ensure that your game files are in order. This means verifying everything through the client. Since this title is only available on the Epic Games Store, you can verify the files by following the steps below.
- Open your Library in the launcher
- Now, click on the three dots next to Saints Row
- Here, select Manage
- Now, here click on the Verify button
This will initiate the verification process, and if there are any missing or corrupted files, those will be downloaded and installed.
Launch the Epic Games Launcher as an admin
Try running Epic Games Launcher as an admin to bypass any user control restrictions.
- Right-click your Epic Games Launcher shortcut
- Click Run as administrator
- Launch Saints Row
Update DirectX and Visual C++ Redistributables
Ensure that both DirectX and Visual C++ Redistributables are on the latest version.
Update your GPU Drivers
Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your GPU installed. You can get the latest ones from the links below.
Add an exception to your anti-virus
If you cannot launch the game, as in, there’s no splash screen, or the game doesn’t boot, your anti-virus software might be messing with the title. We recommend adding Saints Row to the exclusions or exceptions list.
We have listed some popular ones and their respective FAQ pages.
- Windows Defender
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Avast Antivirus
- AVG Antivirus
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus
- Webroot SecureAnywhere
- McAfee Antivirus (Steam Support guide)
Switch to dedicated GPU (Laptop Users)
Ensure that your dedicated GPU is being utilized instead of the integrated one.
Switching to the dedicated Nvidia GPU
- First, open the Nvidia Control Panel
- Then navigate to 3D Settings and then Manage 3D Settings
- Open the tab Program Settings and choose Saints Row from the dropdown menu
- Next, select the preferred graphics processor for this program from the second dropdown.
- Your Nvidia GPU should show as High-performance Nvidia processor
- Save the changes
Switching to the dedicated AMD GPU
- First, open Radeon Settings
- Then navigate to Preferences, followed by Additional Settings
- Here, select Power and then Switchable Graphics Application Settings
- Select Saints Row from the list of applications
- If Saints Row isn’t in the list, click the Add Application button and select the executable from the installation directory. This adds the game to the list, and you’ll be able to select it afterward.
- In Graphics Settings, assign the High-Performance profile to the game.
Update your Windows
Make sure that you are on the latest version of Windows. The developers have recommended this as well.
- In Windows Search, type “Update,” and click on Check for Updates
- This will take you to the Windows Update section, and you can make sure you are on the latest version
Please comment below on any other solution that worked for you, and we’ll add you to the list.
We hope this guide helped fix the Saints Row Crash at launch issue. Let us know if you have any questions in the comments below.