This informative article aims to help you get out of the PS5’s Safe Mode if you are stuck with the Reset PS5 options. This can be quite a frustrating thing to happen to anyone and has a very slim chance of fixing by itself.
If you are stuck in the PS5 Safe Mode with only the Reset option, you can try to get out of it by turning off the console via the power button and then taking out the power cord for 20 minutes. Once the cache has been cleared, you can press and hold the power button until you hear two beeps, and this time, the console should start in Safe Mode normally.
Let’s take a look at the fix in detail and figure out what causes the issue.
Getting Stuck in the PS5 Safe Mode
Normally, people use the Safe Mode to fix any storage or cache-related problems they might be facing with their console. Or maybe when they have to tinker with their HDCP settings. Here is a look at the 7 settings you see in the Safe Mode menu and what they do:
- Restart PS5: You can use this option to reboot the console and go back to its normal mode.
- Change Video Output: This menu will let you tinker with things like HDCP, Resolution, and other video-related stuff.
- Update System Software: Updates the system software to the latest version. (if available)
- Restore Default Settings: Your console’s settings will be reset to its default state but there will be no data loss. Your game progression and game files will all remain safe.
- Clear Cache and Rebuild Database: This option can be used to clear the console’s temporary storage and rebuild its database cache to resolve any partition or storage-related issues.
- Reset PS5: Your console will be reverted to its original state, and all user data, settings and files will be deleted.
- Reset PS5 (Reinstall System Software): The same as the one above, but this one also removes your PS5’s software. You’ll need to manually install the software via a USB.
Your PS5 might get stuck in the Safe Mode due to a power surge or some other software/hardware issue. Anyways, once it does, you won’t be able to select any of the options you normally see in the Safe Mode.
You’ll only see the option to Reset PS5. Doing so will reset your PS5, and delete all of your game files as well. But before we go that route, you can try a few fixes to see if you can dodge the reset bullet.
How to Fix Stuck PS5
Follow these steps to try and fix the Reset Only Safe Mode in the PS5 and revert it back to its normal state:
- Press and Hold the power button on your PS5 until it beeps to turn it off.
- Remove the power cord from the console’s back and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Then, plug the power cord back in.
- Connect your controller to the console using the USB cable. This will allow you to navigate the Safe Mode menus.
- Press and Hold the power button until you hear two beeps to turn the console on in Safe Mode.
- This time, the console should show you all of the Safe Mode options.
- Select the Restart PS5 option, and then your console should restart and go back into its default state.
If this fix doesn’t work, and you are still seeing the Safe Mode, which only lets you select the Reset PS5 option, then you are pretty much facing a hardware/software issue that requires the console to be reset for it to be fixed. You’ll have to do that then.
This is how you can try to get out of the Safe Mode in your PS5 if you are stuck with the Reset PS5 option. If this helped you, then check out our other guides such as the one in which we tell you how to use a browser on the PS5.