The latest version of Genshin Impact is only a day away from release, and you can finally pre-load it. Just like with previous patches, actually updating the game can be quite daunting, especially with how buggy the launcher is, even today. We have you covered though, and if you want to manually update to Genshin Impact 4.0, here is how you can do it.
Manually Update to Genshin Impact 4.0
The links provided in this guide are direct links to miHoYo servers, and we don’t privately host the files. Rest assured, but the links below are the same ones the launcher uses.
Please keep in mind that this guide assumes you are on version 3.8.
Required Downloads for 4.0
Download the following files, which are for version 4.0.
Note: Downloading all audio files isn’t required. Only download the ones you need. It should be noted that you need at least one.
Also, you will need to download the audio patch of the language your Windows is set to, meaning you will need the English pack if that is your default Windows language.
- 4.0 Patch (31.45 GB)
- Chinese Audio files (627 MB)
- English Audio files (778 MB)
- Japanese Audio files (713 MB)
- Korean Audio files (619 MB)
Updating to 4.0
After you have the files required, we can move to the installation process.
- First, run the Genshin Impact launcher, and ensure it is updated. We are referring to the launcher version here and not the game version. Simply running the game launcher will automatically update itself, so do that once.
- Now, click on the Update button, and after a few seconds, click the Pause button.
- Please close the launcher properly, and ensure it isn’t running in the background.
- You can also check if it is running in the taskbar and close it from there too.
- You can also check the Task Manager to see if it’s not running there.
- Now, head over to the following location.
C:\Program Files\Genshin Impact\Genshin Impact Game\ (or wherever you installed the game)
- In this location, delete all the .zip_tmp files (temp files that were downloaded when you hit the Update button)
- Copy the files you previously downloaded in the “Required Downloads” heading, and paste them into the following location (the patch file for 4.0 and the audio files)
C:\Program Files\Genshin Impact\Genshin Impact Game\ (or wherever the game is installed, just make sure it is in the Genshin Impact Game folder)
- After following the steps above, rerun the launcher, and select Update to apply the latest patch.
These are the steps you need to follow.
Important Things To Consider
- DON’T EXTRACT THE FILES. If you want to keep playing the game till the update is officially live, please don’t extract the files yourself till then. If you extract the files now, you will be locked out till the update goes live.
- “Pre-installation done” means that you can keep playing the game until the patch (4.0) is live
- If you follow this guide, after update 4.0 has gone live, it will say “Update” instead of “Pre-installation done“. Click that option, and it will install these downloaded files.
- After the patch goes live, you might have to download additional files in-game. This is normal.
- The files provided in this guide are being downloaded directly from MiHoYo servers. This means that these are entirely safe and from the developers themselves.
We hope this guide was helpful and you were able to manually update Genshin Impact from 3.8 to 4.0.