Sonic games have been coming out on PC for a while now. SEGA has been keen to bring older ports of the original Genesis, as well as newer titles like Sonic Mania, and even Sonic Forces to Steam. However, there are certain ports of Sonic 1 and 2 that feature better resolution, additional features, and the addition of playable Knuckles. This version is only available on mobile, sadly, and PC only has ports of the original versions. However, now, you can actually play the Sonic 1 and 2 mobile version on PC, and here is how.
These are timeless titles, and there’s a reason people keep coming back to them. Sonic Mania was developed in the style of the first 3 titles, and it is why Sonic Mania did far better than SEGA’s other releases.
Playing the Sonic 1 and 2 Mobile version on PC
Turns out, playing the mobile versions of these titles isn’t all that hard, and Rubberduckycooly has released RSDKv4, which allows you to play both games. You can follow the steps below to configure this.
- First, you need the APKs for both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. You can download these from the PlayStore, or from websites like APKPure. You can also purchase these from Amazon, and we have provided the links below
- Now, in Windows, you need to make sure that in the folder options, you have the “Hide extensions for known file types” unchecked, as shown below
- After this, head over to the following link, and download win_x64
- Extract win_x64 using 7zip or Winrar
- Now, right-click on the Sonic apk, and rename the .apk file extension to .zip, as shown below
- Now, extract the new (Sonic 1) zip file here, and open the folder
- Inside it, open the Assets folder, and there you will see the Data.rsdk.xml file
- Copy that file into the win_x64 folder
- Now, rename the Data.rsdk.xml to Data.rsdk, like we did previously
- After you are done, the win_x64 folder should look like this
- Launch RSDKv4_64.exe, and the game should run normally
- Click on START GAME, pick a save file, and that is pretty much it
- You can also press F4 to run the game in full-screen
You can follow the same steps for Sonic 2, and play it as well. This is all possible because of the user Rubberduckycooly, and all credits go to them.
We hope you liked this guide! If you have any questions, feel free to ask those in the comments below.