One of the best ways to find food in Minecraft is to go fishing. There’s also the added fun of potentially catching a treasure instead of fish. However, for you to get started with fishing, you’ll need to make a fishing rod first.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps on how to make a fishing rod in Minecraft. We’ll go over the materials you’ll need for the fishing rod, where to find them, and how to make the rod itself.
Let’s go fishing!
Minecraft Fishing Rod Recipe
To make a fishing rod in Minecraft, you’ll need to secure the following:
- 3 Sticks and 2 Strings
- Open your Crafting Table and place the sticks in a diagonal pattern.
- Place the two strings under the top-most stick in the grid.
- You’ll get one fishing rod for every 3 sticks and 2 strings.
Note: You can place multiple sticks and strings on each of their places to make multiple fishing rods at the same time.
How to Get Sticks in Minecraft
- Start by placing two blocks of wooden planks above each other on either side of the crafting grid.
- Get the stick and repeat the process until you have three.
How to Get Strings in Minecraft
- For the strings, you can get them by killing spiders if you are using Java Edition. You can find spiders in most Overworld biomes with light levels of 7 or less.
- If you are in Bedrock Edition, you can make a string by placing a single cobweb in the Crafting Table. A single cobweb can produce up to 9 strings.
Overall, the Minecraft fishing rod recipe isn’t too complicated. It only needs two materials that can be acquired early in the game.
How to Loot A Fishing Rod in Minecraft
Besides crafting a fishing rod, you can also loot it from drowned mobs. Drowned mobs in Java Edition have a 3.75% chance to spawn with a fishing rod and 0.85% for Bedrock Edition.
If killed, drowned mobs have an 8.5% chance of dropping a fishing rod. This chance is increased by 1% for every level of Looting applied to the weapon you used to kill the mob.
How to Recycle A Fishing Rod in Minecraft
Your fishing rod takes some damage when reeling in an entity. Reeling in a mob costs 5 points of durability and 3 points for items.
To avoid losing resources, you can recycle your fishing rods before they get fully destroyed.
- In the crafting grid, put two damaged fishing rods next to each other.
- Collect the recycled fishing rod in the result grid and put it in your inventory.
Recycled fishing rods have the durability of two fishing rods, plus an extra 5%.
How to Make An Enchanted Fishing Rod in Minecraft
If you want to catch rare items in Minecraft, you might want to get your hands on an enchanted fishing rod. This will increase your chances of catching rare items while fishing.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the enchanting table to access the enchanting menu.
- Now, place the fishing rod in the first box.
- Put 3 Lapis Lazuli in the second box.
- Once you’ve placed the necessary materials in the boxes, you’ll see up to 3 enchantment options.
- Every enchantment will display a number on the right, indicating the number of experience levels you need to unlock and view the enchantment.
- After selecting an enchantment, your Lapis Lazuli and experience points will be consumed. You’ll also notice the fishing rod glowing purple, indicating that it’s already enchanted.
Give Command for Minecraft Fishing Rod
There’s always the option to use the give command to get a fishing rod in Minecraft. If you just want to enjoy and not go through the tedious process of collecting the materials need, use this command to get a fishing rod:
/give <playername> minecraft:fishing_rod 15
That’s all you need to know on how to make a fishing rod in Minecraft. If you run out of fishing rods, you can always gather the required materials in a forest nearby.