Overwatch 2 just released the launch trailer for Overwatch 2, set for launch on October 4th, 2022. The game will be free to play and will offer players coming from Overwatch a plethora of benefits and perks. Still, new players coming to the title will be met with a lot of loops to hop through, before being considered equals to previous players.
Overwatch 2 Free to Play – A few hoops for new players
Blizzard has just posted a comprehensively detailed blog post that tells what new players will have to deal with when coming to the game with no account or attachment from Overwatch.
Here are the quick bullets for each.
- New players will unlock all 35 original heroes by playing the game, and certain game modes over the course of 100 game modes.
- Players will unlock text chat via playing the game, and the new chat (voice and text) will use a system similar to that of Valorant, which will use AI and Machine Learning to determine toxicity and take action.
- You can also unlock all the original heroes by paying $10 for the battle pass which will also get you the latest hero instantly.
- Ranked is now tied to 50 wins in Quick Plays, where the previous requirement was level 25.
- All accounts will require a phone number attached to them to better deter hackers and toxic players.
While you can buy your way through a lot of the requirements, you will still have to play the game to unlock access to the other game modes and also to the ranked game mode, which is a good move from Blizzard.
Overwatch 2 is set to include PvP, and PvE, and bring a whole lot of features back that once made the game great. While the game made the controversial move to 5 v 5 over the traditional 6 v 6 from the original game, only time will tell if the game will succeed.
Overwatch 2 is set for October 4th, 2022, and will release on the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PC, and Nintendo Switch.